Break silos between replenishment and scheduling - SMT Line
by Nikhil Joshi on Oct 5, 2023
Chances are that you generate good production schedules for SMT Lines and chances are that you also have a lean material replinshment system within your factory. Question is do they seemlessly work with each other?
This smart manufacturing use case for high-tech electronics manufacturing showcases an SMT Line factory implementation where two Opcenter software modules were configured and integrated to improve schedule adherence and overall Industrial efficiency.
Outcome that Management can expect:
- Improve collaboration between supply chain & manufacturing operations to gain overall speed and efficiency
Outcomes that supply chain & manufacturing operations teams can expect:
- Improve production schedule accuracy
- Easily spot production possibilities based on material availability
- Easily spot material availability limitations
- Gain time for material deliveries
- Fully align work orders from the ERP system
How is SMT Line Scheduling done using Opcenter SMT Scheduling?
Data is combined from three sources to generate a production schedule for SMT Lines:
(1) machine, line configurations and resource availability from the shop floor,
(2) work orders, schedules and work hours from the enterprise resource plan-
ning (ERP) system and
(3) material availability and location from the supply chain.
The combination of all three enables accurate short-term planning while creating a production plan that includes groups per line, static feeder settings, trolley usage, kanban/work-in-process (WIP) and resource allocation.
How does the Opcenter Scheduling software augment planning and execution teams?
- Facilitates intelligent SMT line grouping to optimize productivity by minimizing machine setup when manufacturing multiple products
- Provides full SMT line coverage including SMT, test and manual
- Uses what-if simulation to enable immediate response to line-down scenarios
- Delivers long-term planning, capacity forecasting and assistance in new equipment investments
- Provides actual versus real-time performance analysis for a rapid response to bottlenecks
- Provides realistic SMT production scheduling based on actual factory capacity
What is Opcenter Scheduling SMT?
Opcenter™ Scheduling SMT software is a tool for the surface-mount technology (SMT) manufacturing industry that seamlessly connects the planner to the shop floor. Opcenter Scheduling SMT, which is part of the Siemens Xcelerator business platform of software, hardware and services, supports factory planners as they generate production schedules taking into consideration frequent, real-time changes that occur in the manufacturing stage, especially in high-mix, low-volume production or when introducing a new product.
How is material replinishment done for SMT Line using Opcenter Intra-Plant Logistics Software?
Surface Mounted Technology (SMT) requires hundreds of components in the electronics assembly process run in mass production. These components varying in sizes and costs have to be transferred from warehouse to an area for preparation, commonly known as kitting. Oversight in kitting leads to long material replenishment lead time, component lost, and overstocking at the kitting area.
The ideal replenishment process is to replenish the component needed just-in-time (JIT). This can control the inventory at minimal safety stock and safety time. However, it is hard to immediately achieve JIT in real life. Practically, most material is planned to move in smaller batches between the warehouse and super markets close to the line and this control is usually in the hands of a material replenisher popularly known as water spiders in lean manufacturing circles and high value component (HVC) operators in the electronics industry. The challenge in doing all this using manually or by paper is to synchronize all intra plant logistics activity without having to build up too much inventory in the super market near the SMT line.
Siemens Opcenter Intra Plant Logistics (IPL) has a smart material repenishment handling solution to deliver the correct materials at the right time and location.
How does Opcenter Intra Plant Logistics (IPL) augment planning and execution teams?
- Reduces inventory and costs while improving efficiency
- Improves cross functional collaboration
- Reduce total cost of ownership
- Cut deployment time and cost
What is Opcenter IPL?
Logistics management inside of the factory occurs in different places and levels, requiring different types of support to efficiently keep track of your inventory. The Opcenter™ Intra Plant Logistics (IPL) solution addresses this need, providing kanban, changeover and just-in-time (JIT) principles to manage a consistent material flow to the production lines based on the schedule, actual demand and consumption. It provides you with logistics capabilities including a flexible solution to address your production needs and significantly reduce inventory, maintain material specification, orchestrate your warehouse activities and ensure a smooth manufacturing flow.
Smart manufacturing digital thread: Order management in ERP - Production scheduling and material replenishment in Opcenter
Integrating Opcenter IPL with Opcenter Scheduling SMT allows users to incorporate the latest material availability information into the production schedule. This allows users to:
- See at one glance which orders can be produced
- Easily spot upcoming material shortages
- Maximize continuous production
- Gain time for additional material deliveries
Integrating Opcenter Scheduling SMT with ERP saves the time and effort typically required to coordinate between ERP and your scheduling process. You can extract work orders, required delivery dates, release data and material stock levels from ERP. You can also update the part reel quantities from SAP by selecting what to import and from where. Required quantity levels for each part in the work order can be displayed, along with inventory levels and the quantity remaining after the work orders are executed.
SNic Solutions is an expert partner of Siemens Digital Industries Software for Opcenter software portfolio, which is part of the Siemens Xcelerator business platform of software, hardware and services.